Saturday, April 2, 2011

Making a PAWsitive Difference!

Today was a beautiful day.


I was crowned Miss Vermont USA in November.  Shortly after this, my little sidekick Mildred passed away after 14 wonderful years together.  She was truly my dog, and I was devastated.  Anybody who has lost a pet knows how tough it can be when their furry friend isn't there to greet me at the door anymore at the end of the day.
 
  Mildred & I did everything together... she went to work with me at the NH hospice and horse farms, she slept in my bed, rode in my car everywhere, and even got smuggled into college.  She was my little baby.  She actually has a facebook page also: Mildred Carter.  She was a little celebrity because of her unique looks & personality.  She even stayed in the Sheraton with my family when I won Miss Vermont USA, cheering me on in her own special way... here is the picture from later that night:



I finally decided a few weeks ago that I was ready for a new furry friend.  After some research, I discovered...
  • About 63% of households in the U.S. have pets... 75 million dogs and 85 million cats!
  • Most pets come from family or friends.  About 15-20% of dogs are purchased from breeders, 10-20% of dogs adopted from shelters/rescues, and 2-10 percent are purchased from pet shops
  • 5-7 million dogs & cats enter animal shelters nationwide every year, and about 3-4 million are euthanized (60% of dogs & 70% of cats!!!!!)

    Given these sobering statistics, I was determined to save a dog who really needed a home.  I contacted several local rescues and was absolutely overwhelmed by the amount of dogs that needed homes!  Most of these dogs came from shelters down south with high euthanization rates... the rescues take in these dogs and give them another chance.  I thought it was going to be so hard to pick just one... but then I read the description for this dog:

    Good Karma Rescue said that this little lady was a gentle, sweet, snuggly stray from Georgia who was rescued with just 11 hours left before her euthanization time.  I fell in love with her before I even met her!  We coordinated our "blind date" with her foster mom for today, and if all went well I was to take her home.  I was a bit nervous... adopting a dog is a huge decision!  Lucky for me, she was everything that Good Karma Rescue had said.  What a sweet little dog!  Very mellow, but she enjoys a good run... just like me!
    She is a princess already!!!

    She is probably about 4 years old, but who really knows.  I can only imagine what the poor little pup has been through... being a stray is no fun.  Maybe she had a family before that.  But then she ended up in a cage in a shelter, until Good Karma Rescue took her to a foster home in Vermont... but she doesn't have to worry anymore.  She's with me now!  And she is sleeping at the foot of my bed as I write this blog.  We went for a long walk and had some good snuggles today... I am just thrilled.  She LOVES my bed and has excellent manners.  I cannot imagine how she could possibly be unwanted.  She is just a sweetheart!



    Here are some links to rescues and adoption sites that you should DEFINITELY look at next time you are looking for a furry new family member!

    4 comments:

    1. Thank you for adopting and loving this sweet girl! She came from us here in Georgia! Such a beautiful heart! You give my heart hope for the future. That we might change the way people think of these lovely souls. They are not disposable! Thank you so much!!!!!She's been waiting just for you!

      ReplyDelete
    2. I am so proud that my daughter Teal started & runs Good Karma Rescue, which is totally non-profit. Teal has a huge heart & limitless energy when it comes to rescuing animals, including cows. Teal fights hard to save as many animals as she can, so I thank you for promoting Good Karma Rescue for the wonderful organization that it is. Thank you for giving this beautiful girl a loving home. Teal is always in need of Foster Homes, so if any one can help her out she would be grateful. By the way what did you name your new sweetheart? Thanks for adopting. Cassandra Church

      ReplyDelete
    3. Hey Vicki! She does have SUCH a beautiful heart... what a little angel this dog is! Now that I am an adopted mom, I see how truly wonderful these homeless pets are. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help!

      Cassandra, your daughter is doing an incredible job running Good Karma Rescue. She went out of her way to make sure that I was able to take this little sweetheart home, and I am just overjoyed with her. I think I'll be naming her Gracie :-)
      I'd love to do anything that I can to help her & these little creatures out.

      ReplyDelete
    4. Lauren as a volunteer for Good Karma Rescue we are all so happy that Gail has found a wonderful home. Gracie is a beautiful name for her. It is our goal to save as many dogs (and other animals as well) as we possibly can and find them the most caring homes. These animals, although their past is not always known, have had horrible starts to their lives most of the time. Fostering is not an easy task and is not for everyone but as I have said before I look at myself as merely being the bridge from the southern shelters to a safe and loving home up north. It is rewarding to hear about all of our wonderful dogs and their new lives with their new families. Teal does a WONDERFUL job with the rescue and devotes so much time out of her personal life to saving these animals. She is a wonderful role model and is so helpful to us volunteers. There are SO many different ways to help out this great organization! Every little bit helps! Please keep us posted on Gracie! One of the greatest rewards in this "business" is getting updates! It reminds us just how worthwhile all the stress is!!!

      ReplyDelete