Saturday, May 21, 2011

Rest In Peace, Emma

 

What is about to follow is a pretty tragic story, but it explains why my finger is wrapped up in gauze.

If you know me, you know that I am a complete animal nut.  You also probably know that I rescued a dog a few months ago after my dog of 14 years passed away.  I wrote a blog post about the whole experience.  My rescue dog, Emma, was 11 hours away from being euthanized in a Georgia shelter because they had too many dogs.  She was saved by Good Karma Rescue and brought to me.
 Emma became instantly attached to me, and I became equally as attached to her.  I took her everywhere.  She would even wait outside the bathroom door for me when I showered!  She accompanied me to friend's houses, photo shoots, sponsors, errands, and more.  She loved car rides.  She slept in my bed.  We traveled.  We went for a run every morning.  When I left the house, she was not a happy girl because she just always wanted to be with me.  In just a few months we had developed a very strong bond.
 
On Monday night, I stood and watched while Emma ran into our quiet dead-end road.  I called her and she turned to run back to me when she was hit by a speeding car.  The car came out of nowhere- I didn't see it coming at all.  The girl who was driving didn't even know that she hit Emma.  She sat up but couldn't move her back legs, and then fell over.  She couldn't move her front legs either.  I ran up to her screaming like a crazy person and she bit me- she was so scared.  I was so scared too.  Frightened, horrified, and stunned.  Everything seemed to move in slow motion.  It was like my life had suddenly become a terrible scary movie.  Emma didn't bite again when she realized it was me crouching over her.  I was able to calm her down a bit, but she had already broken and sliced my finger in her fear.  My poor baby.

Lucky for us, a doctor was taking a walk when the accident occurred.  She must have been an angel.  She ran over and helped me load Emma into my car, and drove us both to the emergency vet.  I couldn't drive because I was bleeding everywhere and freaking out.  Instead, I comforted my baby Emma on our frantic drive to the vet.  My amazing roommate met me at the vet's office as quick as she could, despite the fact that it was her birthday.  She made it there in record time and our savior doctor left.

The vet took an x-ray and informed us that Emma had fractured her back and punctured a lung.  She would need more x-rays and would have to be sedated for weeks to see if there was a chance of healing.  I asked the vet what he would do if it was his dog... I am a hospice nurse after all, and I don't believe in unnecessary suffering at the end of life.  The best option for Emma was to be put to sleep.  I pet her little black head and looked into those chocolate brown eyes when she took her last breathe.  My poor little baby.

As if that wasn't enough, I had to go to the ER and get stitches after.
 



Life is always full of unpredictable joys and tragedies.  I am glad I was able to give Emma the loving home she deserved for the remainder of her days.  She was a really great dog.  Thank you to everybody who has shown so much love and support... especially to Lauren, Mom, Nan, and Kyle, but also to everybody else in my life and on facebook/twitter.  You are all amazing.  I will miss you so much Emma.
~Lauren

2 comments:

  1. Emma was a lucky dog to be rescued and then to spend the rest of her life with a beautiful person like you Lauren, Emma left you, but also left behind a scar to remind and thank you for all the love you to shared with one another. RIP Emma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your story Lauren.
    Emma was so lucky to have you as a mum. The pictures of you together radiate with joy.
    So sad to hear about your loss.
    Wishing you strength and happiness in the future.

    ReplyDelete