Monday, February 21, 2011

Pittsburgh and More!



Hey Everybody!

As I write this, I am flying back to Vermont from a weekend of pageant preparations and fun in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.  The flight is a bit bumpy! 

While in Pittsburgh, we stayed at the Hyatt with my director Randy Sanders and his other Miss and Teen state titleholders: West Virginia, Indiana, Pennsylvania, and Connecticut.  Director Melissa Pitchford was also there with her states, Ohio and Michigan.  It was great to spend time with the girls and get to know them better... after all, I will be with them for 2+ weeks at Miss USA!  They are sisters now. 

Aside from the social part of the weekend, we got down to business.  Lots of meetings, workshops, a photoshoot with Carter’s studio, and an appearance as special guests at Celebration of the Chinese New Year... with a 14-course traditional Mandarin feast!




Most people don’t realize how much goes into preparing for pageants. I certainly had no idea prior to competing for Miss Vermont USA!  Let’s take a behind-the-scenes look at pageant preparation:

Body: Of course, contestants must be in tip-top shape.  Strong and fit, yet feminine.  This is probably my favorite aspect of pageant preparation because I love leading a healthy lifestyle.  It is not all about crash dieting and crazy cardio.  In fact, I eat 6-7 “clean” meals/snacks each day- fresh, real, non-processed food and lots of protein.  I lift weights instead of doing cardio, and I make sure to sleep (when I can!), drink a ton of water, and (my opinion) do yoga as well.

The BRAIN: There is a stereotype out there of ditzy, fluffy pageant girls.  Let me tell you, this is wildly inaccurate.  Anybody who personally knows me can vouch for this.  The girls I have met thus far are intelligent, focused, wonderful women who are succeeding in a variety of professions, from teaching and communications to dental school and (me!) nursing.

Appearance: Pageant girls must be intelligent, and also beautiful.   Skill in hair and makeup is essential, and a decent sense of style and a small collection of TALL shoes for all occasions is necessary.  I have never been much concerned with my hair or makeup, and I have never been a materialistic girl...  However, it has been fun to get creative with style and appearance.  It is nice to wear something other than nursing scrubs, for a change!

The Gown: Yes, each pageant girl needs a fabulous evening gown that they love for nationals.  There are so many options, and you can really get creative here as well.

Communications Skills: As a Miss Whatever, you end up speaking a lot.  We talk to people at appearances, recruit sponsors, and have public speaking engagements.  Of course, there is also the interview at the actual pageant.  One interview occurs behind closed doors before the show, and the other interview is on-stage with only the top 5 contestants.  Judges can ask anything, and we have to be prepared to think on our feet and respond in an eloquent manner.

Contestant Profile Sheets: Prior to the pageant, contestants are given a big list of questions to fill out.  The judges are given these to examine as a way to get to know us more.  It is our first impression on the judges, so it has to be perfect, unique, and 100% honest-to-goodness YOU!

Mental Preparation: Confidence. Faith in oneself. Organization. Miss USA is 2+ grueling and exciting weeks in Vegas, and contestants have to be on the ball, 24/7!  Lucky for me, I have worked enough 12-hour night shifts to be ready to handle anything... with a smile!

Knowledge: Miss USA needs to be up-to-date on... guess what? USA! She needs to know what is going on in her country and the world. I don’t have a television OR cable in my little Vermont apartment, but I do stay connected through online news resources and the paper. 

Sponsors: For everything from tanning and hair to gas cards and clothing!

 Organization Skills: are essential. Between booking appearances, arranging sponsors, coordinating traveling and coaching sessions, time at the gym... oh, and full-time nursing school!  I have a little green book that has a calendar with daily schedules, and it is my LIFE saver.

And that is just the tip of the iceberg!  Appearances, photoshoots, traveling, and more... being a titleholder is a ton of work and an amazing opportunity. I am so grateful for my state, my crown, and the wonderful people keeping me on track to Miss USA.  Bring it on!



~Lauren Carter

2 comments:

  1. It was interesting to read what happens behind the crown. Thanks for the insight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are so proud of you! Lauren you are working at being a wonderful Miss Vermont USA 24/7. If you win Miss USA, MUO will be grateful they got lucky enough to get you for a year!
    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete