Thursday, March 10, 2011

Supersized Snowstorms, Dazzling Dresses, and Heartfelt Hospice

Hello everybody!

Tuesday morning, I looked out the window and saw this:


    I didn't even know there was supposed to be a snowstorm!  I ended up being stuck in my apartment until 7pm, when I could FINALLY get out of my driveway and go to the gym.  The snow was brutal!  It was nice to have a day of (forced) rest, though.  I stayed in my Tinkerbell pajamas all day and made amazing oatmeal-banana-chocolate chip-peanut butter-walnut-craisin-apple-trail mix cookies.  YUM!



    I woke up at 3:30 the next morning to get to the airport for my 6am flight to NYC.  What was the occasion?  The hunt for a Miss USA evening gown!  My Super-Mom (love you!) met me in the city along with my amazing gown sponsor, Maria Neves at The Crowning Touch.  I got my pageant gown for Miss Vermont USA from Maria, and she has been nothing but wonderful to me.  Thank you Maria!


    My gown from Miss Vermont USA was a Sherri Hill.  I have always loved Sherri Hill gowns, and I knew from day one that I needed a Sherri Hill for my Miss USA gown.  Well, my dream came true!  We went to visit Sherri Hill herself to see what she had, and it was absolute heaven!  I was surrounded by beautiful, colorful, unique Sherri Hill gowns and wonderful people.  My awesome director Randy Sanders met us there to help us pick.  Even though he lives in Pennsylvania, I see him so often!  There he is:


    After several hours, I managed to find my dream gown as well as several awesome cocktail dresses.  I highly recommend Sherri Hill's gowns and cocktail dresses.  A big selection of special things.  We went back the next morning to finalize our decision.  I could have spent a whole week in Sherri's dress heaven.  It was great.  The more time I spend in the city, the more I realize that I really could live here and love it.



    I hopped on another plane to Vermont on Wednesday evening.  My short trip to the city was over, but I will be heading back for more NYC next month!  I spent my Thursday evening at Vermont Respite House for my nursing school clinical.  Tomorrow, I am going to my fitness trainer in Massachusetts: Katie Boyd at The Miss Fit Club.  Her gym is hot pink, and she has a bigger personality than anybody I know.  We always have a million laughs.  I'll spend Friday night and Saturday with my family in NH... I don't even remember the last time I visited! On Sunday, I will model for a clothing store photoshoot in NH and then travel to CT to meet with Don Baker, my communications coach.  I will drive back to Vermont Sunday night and go back to clinical Monday morning at Vermont Respite House!  Phew!  It does get busy.




    Before I go, can I just say how INCREDIBLE Hospice workers and volunteers are?!  I have worked as a Nursing Assistant in Hospice two years now.  You may be wondering what exactly Hospice is... Well, let me explain!  We live in a very medically advanced country.  We are able to treat and treat and treat diseases, to run tests, to perform procedures, to give all sorts of medications.  There comes a point in the lives of many patients where this treatment is stopped.  This may happen for many reasons- a disease may progress so far that it is untreatable, the treatments may cause too much suffering, or the patient may simply not want treatment anymore.  These patients can utilize Hospice care.  The Hospice philosophy focuses on caring for patients at the end of their lives by increasing their quality of life.  This is done by relieving uncomfortable symptoms, providing emotional support, guiding the family through this difficult process, and connecting the patient to any desired spiritual needs.  The goal is not to hasten death, and not to prolong life.  All life-sustaining treatments are ceased and the only medications received are focused on improving physical and emotional comfort.  Hospice is NOT the same as physician-assisted suicide, and good Hospice care actually eliminates the need for suicide by providing a comfortable and fulfilling end-of-life experience to patients.  They direct their own care, and we strive to meet their needs.  The goal is peace and dignity as one nears the end of their life.



    I am currently doing my final nursing clinical internship for University of Vermont at my beloved Vermont Respite House, where I have worked as a Nursing Assistant since 2008.  This is a truly magical place where people spend their last days, surrounded by family and loving caregivers in a home-like environment.  It sounds like a depressing job, but there is NO GREATER GIFT than spending time with these amazing patients, family members, and caregivers.  It can be extremely difficult to see people of all ages progress through battles with cancer, ALS, heart disease, lung disease, stroke, dementia, and old age.  However, the staff is a truly gifted community of very special, strong, peaceful people.  I feel so lucky to have met these people and become part of their team. 

Today, a 90+ year old woman wore my crown and gave her best royal wave.  She said it was "exquisite".


Oh, and a shout-out to LAURIE!  You are the best.   I wish we worked together more but hey at least I saw you tonight!

1 comment:

  1. Wow nice collections. According to our height and size they provides wedding dress

    ReplyDelete