Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Living the Dream.

First off, PLEASE watch this video.  It is a nice window of insight into life as a Miss USA contestant.


Next...  WOW.  I am flying back from Las Vegas as I write, and I am feeling all sorts of things right now.  I am mostly stunned to be returning to New England after living what already seems like just a dream.  Did that really just happen???
I just spent basically a month living in a hotel with 50 other Miss USA contestants.  From about 7am to 11pm we were on the go, non-stop with appearances, events, filming, and rehearsals.  And of course, 7am breakfasts meant 5am wake-ups to get hair, makeup, and outfit ready for the day while sharing the tiny bathroom with my roomie (Indiana).  Wash hair, dry hair, do hair.  Foundation, fake eyelashes, lips, cheeks, eyes, etc.  Outfits, accessories, shoes, and don’t forget your sash!  Long days in big heels surrounded by fabulous security guards and chaperones.  We did SO many things.  Most of our events focused on photoshoots and filming.  We were fed VERY well.  If we weren’t eating in the buffet, we were being spoiled by incredible restaurants.  People shouted at us when we walked by in our pageant herd... “where is Texas!!!” and we packed more pageant girls into one elevator than I could ever have believed possible.  I can only imagine how interesting it was to see us all walking somewhere, two by two and flanked by security and chaperones, all sparkly and very tall. 

Living on the contestant floor in Planet Hollywood with the girls became routine pretty quickly.  After long and exhausting days, we would still all hang out together at the end of the day.  I was nervous going to Miss USA because of all the pageant horror stories about crazy, catty girls and drama... but there wasn’t any of that.  I can honestly say that I could sit with any contestant at any meal and have a great conversation.  We are all sisters.  Nobody understands what I went through in Vegas but them.

It was exhausting and grueling, emotionally and physically draining, and completely amazing.  It really was living a dream.  I feel so blessed to have been given the chance to go to Miss USA.  I am so grateful to my family for supporting me while I competed at Miss Vermont USA, throughout the year, and during the crazy Miss USA preparations.  I love you Mom!  I am also grateful to my friends for being so interested and involved in my pageant escapades.  Thank you also to my great director Randy Sanders for helping me along the way.  And a huge thank you to the amazing girls who made Miss USA SO much fun.

I am feeling a little confused about going back to my real life now.  You mean I don’t have to wear my sash anymore?  Where are my security guards?  Where are the 50 other girls?  I can wear my sandals and yoga pants?  I am allowed to leave the house alone?  People use my real name?  I don’t have to wear fake eyelashes anymore? 

My reintegration into life is definitely going to feel a little lonely.  Like I said... I was surrounded by the other contestants pretty much every waking moment for 19 days and none of us were allowed ANYWHERE alone.  Not even the bathroom (unless we were on the contestant floor).  I feel like I have so much freedom already.  It will feel strange to not be competing for a pageant anymore.  I have been preparing for a pageant for almost two years now!

However, I am excited for what lies ahead in my life right now.  I am moving into a new Vermont apartment and working as a summer school nurse while I study for my NCLEX nursing exam.  I’ve been accepted to graduate school for the fall.  I am excited to spend more time with my family and friends, and I am looking for a horse to ride again... I haven’t had time to ride since last summer!  Life is AWESOME. 



Now when I look at a map of the US, I don’t see a bunch of places... I see a bunch of people.  The Miss USA experience was really amazing.  Preparing for the pageant completely took over my life, and I have never worked so hard for anything ever.  It was so great to be part of something so special.  Although very difficult at times, my life has been forever changed by the experience.  I am so happy that I did this, and I will probably be having Miss USA withdrawals for some time now.  Until then... NAP TIME!
(yes that is me. backstage at dress rehearsals)
Thanks for staying tuned and cheering me on! Hugs to you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment