Sunday, November 21, 2010

Dream Becomes Reality

Hello There!
 Considering the fact that you found this blog, you must have heard the news- I am Miss Vermont USA 2011!!!

What a dream come true.  I entered my first pageant last year when I competed in Miss Vermont USA 2010 as a Mother's Day present.  I have the most hard-working, supportive, amazing Mom and had to do something fantastic for her, and she had always encouraged me to enter a pageant. Needless to say, the experience of preparing for and competing in a pageant was absolutely addictive... and here I am today as your new Miss Vermont USA! Miss Vermont has not won Miss USA since 1955.  It's time for a change.

I was crowned on November 7th, but two weeks later it all still seems like such a dream.  I have literally been preparing for Miss Vermont USA 2011 since the moment I stepped off last year's stage.  Now, my dream is a reality.

I had three exams within three days of being crowned, all the while firing hundreds of emails and phone calls back and forth with regards to prospective appearances, sponsors, charities to work with, and volunteer opportunities. The weekend after I was crowned, my FANTASTIC director Randy Sanders arranged for Miss Vermont Teen USA Bridget Martin and I travel to Connecticut for some wonderful communications skills development with Don Baker.


I also visited Fletcher Allen's cancer unit, where I was a student this summer.  It was an absolutely remarkable experience to enter a patient's room not in scrubs, but in crown and sash.  I never imagined how I could truly make somebody's day by visiting them as Miss Vermont USA.  One patient said, "You have really brightened my day. I just want you to know that." Another said, "I am so glad you stopped by. It made my day so much better." It is wonderful to bring light to people's days. I also hugged a dying woman, who burst into tears and would not let go... I told her how incredibly strong she is,  and how she is an inspiration to us all.  We can learn so much from our sick and dying.

This is going to be an INCREDIBLE year and I am so excited.  I am looking forward to meeting many amazing people, working with our fantastic sponsors, and being helped by my director Randy Sanders of Pageant Associates.  I will be updating here quite frequently with photos and stories, so stay tuned and enjoy the ride!

~Lauren Carter

No comments:

Post a Comment